Another Southern Roadtrip

My main challenge for the next few weeks will be architecture and product photography, but products will come later. On Saturday, April 10, my mother and I took a journey into the country again, going as far as Edgefield, SC (if you're going on a straight drive there, it's 45 minutes, but since we're stopping for photographs, it took the whole afternoon). I wanted some southern architecture which really jumped out at me, and I am having difficulty in finding things which truly catch my eye and go beyond the beauty of the south, which even I myself am having to push myself to see since in the past I found the south ordinary.


I think my challenge with architecture will be to get up close and to have the main subject to be what architecture photography is supposed to be about and not the whole location; however, I still hope this photograph can find its place in my general portfolio.


Another big challenge, since I am sticking with the south for both of my portfolios, is trees and flowers in the way of my photos (architecture mainly). I have no problem with working them in with portraiture and location, but for this genre of photography, I think it is frowned upon. I hope I can mold my style into architecture.


One of the main things that popped in my head when I thought about going out and finding southern architecture was a simple church (or extravagant, I'm open for options). This church I have seen before, located in Ward, SC, and the thing that attracts me are the doors, but I tried to get myself to back up and make a direct photograph of the church. There was a power line and night light attached to this church, but it was removed in post-processing along with a propane tank which used to be in the below photograph. This church is apparently a nice part of Ward County because a Captain, Captain Clinton Ward to be exact, is buried there along with his wife, Martha, and daughter, Josephine. He was a state representative, laid out and planned the town which is now called Ward, and a prominent landowner.




This location is right beside the church photographed above.


Of course this photograph isn't architecture, but I found these cows interesting as I have never seen a cow with this large of horns, and I have been around cattle almost all of my life. I ended up going through some briers in a dress to capture these shots, but worth it.

_______________________________________________

The day before, Friday, April 9, before going home I found a beautiful collard greens field in full yellow bloom. I am so very Thankful I decided to stop and make some photographs because not even 24 hours after these photographs, the field was being plowed down for another crop to be planted.

I wasn't sure if I liked the color or black & white best, so I am posting both. These were made during a tornado watch:








Always,

Des'ola

Comments

Popular Posts